Thursday, 31 December 2015

2015 in Fiction

Another year, another list. Here are the fictional works, quotes, and scenes that have affected me the most this year.

Quote of the Year:

"I guarantee you that at some point, everything's going to go south on you, and you're going to say, 'This is it, this is how I end.' Now you can either accept that, or you can get to work." - Mark Watney, The Martian

Scene of the Year:

This isn't actually from this year, but Elevens regeneration into Twelve is my scene of the year, because "we all change, when you think about it... ...and that's okay... ...so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." I am not who I was, and for a moment this year I did not recognise my own memories, being disconnected from my own past. But that's who I was - all those people are people that I used to be.




Film of the Year:

2015 is probably the year I've been to the cinema the most, so far in my life, and I have seen films on both extremes of the Romanticism versus Enlightenment scale, from the two capping films of the year I saw at the beginning and the end (The Hobbit and Star Wars: The Force Awakens) for Team Romanticism, to Tomorrowland (highly underrated) and The Martian for Team Enlightenment. I have to give this one to Team Enlightenment, and within that to The Martian, for the same sentiment expressed in the quote at the top. We're human, dammit. We don't roll over and let our circumstances crush us, no matter how hopeless they feel - in fact, we actively seek out challenges, as we have that spirit that Reagan mentioned in his speech after the Challenger disaster: "Give me a challenge and I'll meet it with joy.". So for that reason, The Martian is my film of the year.


Speech of the Year:

This one is a competition between Governor Nix's directed-at-the-audience "Reason you suck speech", and the 12th Doctor's anti-war speech from The Zygon Inversion. I'm giving this one to Tomorrowland (another point for Team Enlightenment) because of this - "In every moment there is the possibility for a better future, but you people won't believe it - and because you won't believe it, you won't do what is necessary to make it a reality". I look around me, and I can see how everything could be made better, how we already have the tools we need. We're not condemned to failure, it's something we choose everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment